Monday, February 28, 2011

Measuring

I think it really does get deeper at high tide. This is looking pretty deep to me. I need to check at low tide, if I can remember to look and compare pictures. But it's time to measure all the steps and benches to see how crazy the marker tiles will be. Note: Our rescue dog, Sophie, hates tape measures. It's something about that metallic sounds they make. All the pool workers have been warned about this and she has to be locked inside when they are using them. You can imagine how many guys were using tape measures when they were framing. Sophie was barking her head off.

Here's how my measurements came out near the edge of each area:
.....Entry steps: 1st top tiny sunshelf - 8'8"
.....2nd step - 9'2" plus bench 7'6" = 16'8" total
.....3rd step - 11'6"
.....Swimout at deep end - 5'10"
.....Right spa step - 2'11" plus swimout 7'4" = 10'3" total
.....Left spa step - 2'11" plus swimout 7'1" = 10' total
.....Spa bench - 2 x 1'4" width plus 12'6" around = 15'2" total (roughly)
.....Grand total: 42'8" step & bench markers, plus 38-40' swim lane

Hope I did all the math right! I realize that the step & bench markers do not necessarily have to match the swim lane markers. If I went cheapo on the swim lane, since it's 3.5' to 6.5' deep underwater, and splurged a bit on the much shallower steps, I'm not sure would look really bad. Or maybe it would look like I was trying to do it on the cheap. Hmmm.

Now, here's the interesting thing I noticed while I was out there checking things out. Take a look at the left side of the spa (from the house) which is along the thicker pool beam wall. The odd triangle there is completely filled in with shotcrete. This was a discussion item while they were shooting, and I was pretty sure I heard them say that they were going to completely fill those two weird angled spots.
But here's the right side of the spa, along the fence line. That wall was built at a 90 degree angle around the step, and by design, it should've been a 45 degree angle (before the spa was placed there). But that angle would've made the step oddly shaped. Either way, it makes an awkward gap, and I thought it was going to be filled in flush with that side wall of the spa. The difference will be that the left side will be raised and surrounded by coping, and the right side will be ground level pavers, which match the coping. The missing part of the equation is where the steps are planned for this side of the pool. Perhaps this is part of those steps. Need to ask PB about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment